Online Desk :
Industries Minister Nurul Majid Mahmud Humayun today said that the fire incident in Chawkbazar area of Old Dhaka last night was caused by explosion of LP gas cylinder and not by chemicals stored in the warehouse.
“What happened here last night had nothing to do with the chemicals. It was LP gas cylinder blast,” he said while talking to The Daily Star on the site of the deadly fire today.
The cylinder exploded while being delivered here and unfortunately the fire engulfed the electrical transformer nearby and also caused it to explode, the minister said.
As a result, the whole area went dark and turned into something like a gas chamber, he added.
The incident has nothing to do with the chemicals here, he reiterated.
However, he assured that they will take necessary steps without wasting any time to shift the chemical warehouses from the area very soon.
Earlier in the day, the authorities called off rescue operation after dousing the ghastly fire at Chawkbazar which has claimed lives of about 70 people so far.
Dhaka South City Corporation Mayor Sayeed Khokon called off rescue operation officially around 12:10pm after nearly 14 hours of efforts.
According to several eyewitnesses and survivors, the fire began after a big blast in Chawkbazar, a hub in Old Dhaka, around 10:40pm last night.
According to what can be ascertained initially, the fire sparked out from a chemical warehouse on the ground floor of the five-storied building named Hazi Wahed Mansion.
The flames quickly spread to three other buildings nearby, including a community centre.